Living Life Out Loud...

Many of you probably already know that "LOL" typically stands for "laughing out loud" but here on my blog, it means "living out loud". For many adults being authentic no longer comes naturally. We must work at it. Somewhere between childhood and adulthood we have lost the ability to simply LIVE. After dealing with a lot of personal trials, including verbal/emotional abuse and being the caretaker for my father prior to his death, I have come through and not only survived, but am working on thriving. I have maintained a sense of humor & have been resilient. Here I will write about my life and what's going on in my mind. Hence is the life of a writing, child-at-heart, sage-like goddess who refuses to "grow up" if that means being inauthentic.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Working Through the Hard "STUFF"

Challenges come so we can grow and be prepared for things we are not equipped to handle now. When we face our challenges with faith, prepared to learn, willing to make changes, and if necessary, to let go, we are demanding our power be turned on.
Iyanla Vanzant

Life is imperfect. That is a given. we never know what we are going to be dealt until it is given to us. We can try to calculate the chances, but when it comes down to it...we just never know what will happen. Things in life must be flexible. If you do not like change, are afraid of change, are not able to cope, are inflexible or are unwilling, you will drown in life. You will not be successful.
So many times I come across young people who are not able to adjust in life...and then they wonder why they are not reaching their goals and dreams. They want to blame it on other people but the sole responsibility lies in themselves...they just have to figure that piece out. And everyone learns at their own pace.  Everyone learns in their own way. But the sooner someone learns this, the better off they will be.
I did not have a great childhood. I experienced trauma that made things emotionally difficult for me. I still struggle with things from time to time. However, I have figured out how to cope and be flexible and that's helped. I journal, write, read, create to help me through the challenging times. I really enjoy my life, despite my struggles...sometimes because of them.
In life, you must take responsibility for YOUR actions. You may not choose everything that happens to you, but you DO CHOOSE HOW you REACT to them!
As a young(er) person, I was told that I was stupid, fat, lazy, ugly and that I would not go to college and never amount to anything. I know *now* that none of these things is true. However, *at the time* I thought they were true and it was devastating, especially since those words were coming from family members. 
Luckily, I am optimistic by nature and I did not close myself off from others and in Junior High and High School I was able to develop a great group of friends and used them and some amazing teachers as my support group. I came a long way in that time. I *did* go to college. I *did* graduate. I *am* someone! I may not be famous or rich, but I'm doing okay...and I'm getting better. Am I perfect? No. No one is. But I am always learning and always working on myself. I will be doing so until the day I die and I'm alright with that. 
My hope is that young people will continue to do better on their own. I work with young people and I hope that I can be an example for them and help give them hope for their future. The key is not to give up and not to shut people out. I am imperfect in my trust of others but I try and that's the important part.....


....thoughts to be continued...this piece, as am I, is a work in progress......

1 comment:

jcq said...

I'm posting a response to this in my blog entry. I found it wound up too long for a comment. ;)