Living Life Out Loud...

Many of you probably already know that "LOL" typically stands for "laughing out loud" but here on my blog, it means "living out loud". For many adults being authentic no longer comes naturally. We must work at it. Somewhere between childhood and adulthood we have lost the ability to simply LIVE. After dealing with a lot of personal trials, including verbal/emotional abuse and being the caretaker for my father prior to his death, I have come through and not only survived, but am working on thriving. I have maintained a sense of humor & have been resilient. Here I will write about my life and what's going on in my mind. Hence is the life of a writing, child-at-heart, sage-like goddess who refuses to "grow up" if that means being inauthentic.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Walking in the Rain

I apparently got more than enough sleep over the weekend because last night I seemed to toss and turn and when the 1st alarm went off at 4:10am this morning, I was already wide awake. Lots of rain and wind and thunder and lightning last night. I don't mind that weather when it's warm and last night and this morning it was.

Since I was already awake and not at all tired, I got myself up and dressed for one of my morning walks...the hood is actually quite peaceful and beautiful at that hour of the day! Pleasant change from different times.

I grabbed my headphones and went out the door by 4:20...pounding the pavement, anticipating the 2.5 miles I was going to encounter. It felt good out and I even pushed up the sleeves on my sweatshirt. 

As I rounded North Bend and around towards Belmont, I saw 2 deer crossing the street...a surprisingly common occurrence in this city, yet, many don't ever experience it because they're too busy doing other things...like sleeping!  A few steps later, I looked in the front yard of the house I was passing...drawn by a flicker of movement in the grass. As my eyes focused in on it, I realized it was a rather large bunny enjoying the warmer morning and wet grass. I love witnessing nature like this inside the city limits...totally made the walk worth it.

As I got further along on my loop through the neighborhood, it started sprinkling....it was warm so I didn't mind, it felt kind of good. By the time I was about 3/4ths of the way through my walk, the heavens, however opened up! Rain floating and sheets across the sidewalk and streets in waves as the wind whipped. There was a bit of thunder and lightning and I even saw a few sparks from a transformer up on an electrical pole from the wind...but there was no turning back I was too far into the walk to turn back and there was really no "shortcut" back home at that point, so I put my glasses in my pocket, pulled the hood on my sweatshirt up and just kept plugging away...I'm just glad that it was warm enough that I was not freezing as I was getting thoroughly drenched as I walked home. 

When I got to the house, I took my shoes and socks off while sitting on the porch since they were wringing wet from walking through the mini-rivers of muddy water that was rapidly flowing down and around the streets and sidewalks in my hilly neighborhood. I dropped my shoes by the first heating vent I passed on my way to the back of the house to the laundry room to immediately channel all of my clothes directly into the washer before going upstairs to take a nice, hot shower and get ready for work.


Despite the sheer randomness...and the fact that the tornado warning sirens went off--which I thought were for severe weather, not actually a tornado warning--it was actually a nice, relaxing and invigorating way to start the day. I need to get back in that habit and do that more often...I miss that during the cold months....

No comments: